2018 The Year of Collaborative Kitchens by Sara Mariani

2018 The Year of Collaborative Kitchens

Since 2015, “pop-up” restaurants have consistently been referred to as the restaurant industry's hottest new trend, with ventures such as the Surry Hills In-N-Out Burger pop-up seeing burgers sold out before doors were even opened.

Looking ahead, 2018 it is all about collaborative kitchens which aim to harness creativity over commerce and instead act as a space for chefs and critics alike to collaborate and create dishes that are served and enjoyed among a small group of foodie friends.

One of the newer examples of this collaborative restaurant revolution is the newly opened Magazine Street Kitchen, located in Byculla, India, in the southern region of Mumbai. The brain child of Gauri Devidayal, Jay Yousuf and Michelin Star Chef Alex Sanchez, The Magazine Street Kitchen is a 2500sq ft space with an industrial vibe featuring unfinished walls, exposed pipes and the star of the space – the stunning Mareno Custom Island Suites.


According to Gauri Devidayal, the concept of the Magazine Street Kitchen was simple: to design a kitchen that serves partly as a bakery and partly as a collaborative space for chefs.

“The idea of opening another restaurant just didn’t excite us,” Gauri explained to Vogue India. “We wanted something more challenging. Professional chefs can use it as an experimental playground to revisit recipes and also hold classes.”


With multiple Mareno Custom Island Suites designed in a highly functional open workflow, the space allows for up to 40 people to collaborate and create menus on this incredibly stunning cooking range. The Mareno setup has been a hit with world leading chefs such as Kwame Onwuachi of the Michelin-star New York Restaurant Eleven Madison Park, who presented a one-night five course meal to selected guests in the Magazine Street Kitchen back in November.


From the moment you enter the Magazine Street Kitchen, you are instantly hit with the sheer scale and beauty of the Mareno lineup, which takes up 80% of the entire space, leaving only 20% left for actual dining.

“Magazine Street Kitchen is one of those few visionary projects aiming at re-gentrifying the almost abandoned areas of the city. With a project like this, we can see how something functionally impressive can be woven into an existing built fabric without much intervention,” says Architect Anand Patel.

The sparkling steel countertops and Italian designed kitchen clashes beautifully with the exposed red brick walls and original columns of the space, emanating the essence of a modern kitchen paying homage to its industrial roots.


For more information on Mareno or how to take your commercial kitchen to the next level, ask the hospitality experts at Illawarra Catering Equipment. With finance approved up to $65,000 – or our instant ZipPay interest free finance.

Call us on 02 4228 0100 or email us at info@icegroup.com.au

Leave a comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up

Net Orders Checkout

Item Price Qty Total
Subtotal $0.00

Shipping Address

Shipping Methods